Double vinyl LP pressing. 2017 release, an album of Bach works recorded by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, mandolinist Chris Thile, and bassist Edgar Meyer. The album comprises works by J.S. Bach originally written for keyboard instruments, plus one sonata for viola da gamba. In 2011, Ma, Thile, and Meyer-along with Stuart Duncan-collaborated on The Goat Rodeo Sessions, which won two Grammy Awards. Yo-Yo Ma and Edgar Meyer's first recording together was the 1996 album Appalachia Waltz, which also featured fiddler Mark O'Connor; that album was followed by Appalachian Journey, also with O'Connor, in 2000. Thile then joined Meyer on Ma's 2008 holiday album, Songs of Joy and Peace, before the trio reunited, along with Stuart Duncan, for The Goat Rodeo Sessions, an album of original tunes drawing from the musicians' backgrounds in bluegrass, classical, and American roots music. As Ma told Billboard at that time: "How often do you work with people who are master virtuosos and also master improvisers and composers, who know at least two musical traditions unbelievably well?" He continued, "It's just extraordinary when you have people who can actually show on their instruments what they're thinking at any moment, without a delay. As soon as you think it, it gets transferred in your neuromusculature immediately into sound."
- Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: I. Vivace
- Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: II. Lento
- Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: III. Allegro
- The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I: Prelude No. 19 in a Major, BWV 864
- Wachet Auf, Ruft Uns Die Stimme, BWV 645
- The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II: Fugue No. 20 in a Minor, BWV 889
- Ich Ruf Zu Dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639
- Prelude No. 18 in E minor, BWV 548
- Fugue No. 18 in E minor, BWV 548
- Keyboard Partita No. 5 in G Major, BWV 829: VI. Passepied
- Kommst Du Nun, Jesu, Vom Himmel Herunter, BWV 650
- Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080: Contrapunctus XIII a 3, "Rectus"
- Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080: Contrapunctus XIII a 3, "Inversus"
- Erbarm Dich Mein, O Herre Gott, BWV 721
- Sonata for Viola Da Gamba No. 3 in G minor, BWV 1029: I. Vivace
- Sonata for Viola Da Gamba No. 3 in G minor, BWV 1029: II. Adagio
- Sonata for Viola Da Gamba No. 3 in G minor, BWV 1029: III. Allegro
Write Your Own Review